Pizza Potato Skins

Tuesday 25 June 2013

 photo SAM_6719_zpsefc068a0.jpg

I hesitate actually to call this a recipe . . . it's more of a something I just did . . . and it happened to turn out beautifully.

  photo SAM_6719_zpsefc068a0.jpg 


I hate waste.  I love potatoes.   I especially love baked potatoes.   I was making a baked potato salad.   You only need the flesh of the baked potatoes for that recipe . . . what to do with the skins???  The skins are my favourite part.  It seemed a shame to waste them and so . . .

  photo SAM_6720_zps8cf0fad0.jpg 


I cut them in half lengthwise and sprinkled them with some spices and spritzed them with some low fat cooking spray . . . and then I baked them until they were scrummy crisp and brown on the edges and then . . .  

  photo SAM_6722_zpsaa13c82a.jpg 


I liberally sprinkled them with my favorite pizza toppings and cheese . . . lovely strong cheddar cheese . . . I love the stuff.  After that,  I banged them back into the oven to melt the cheese and heat the toppings and then . . .  

  photo SAM_6728_zps23b57da2.jpg 


Why, I served them with some sour cream for dipping of course!!  We loved them.  They were magnifique! 


 photo SAM_6724_zpsd5dbd715.jpg    


*Pizza Potato Skins*
Makes 16 pieces
I was making a twice baked potato salad the other day and it seemed a shame to throw away the skins after I had scooped them out.  The skins are always my favourite part! 

the skins of 4 baked potatoes
(cut in half, scoop out the flesh, reserving for another use)
cooking spray oil
fine sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
smoked paprika to taste
dried mixed herbs to taste
a handful each of grated strong cheddar cheese, chopped green and black olives, chopped spring onions
and a few chopped sun dried tomatoes
Sour cream to serve and a few extra chopped spring onions if desired 


 photo SAM_6728_zps23b57da2.jpg 


Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut each potato skin half, in half yet again, cutting them lengthwise.  Place them spread out onto the baking sheet.  Spritz them well with the cooking spray.   Mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and mixed herbs.  Scatter this over the potato skins.  Pop them into the oven and bake for about 15  minutes until they begin to turn golden brown and crisp on the edges. 



 photo SAM_6727_zps56410cc2.jpg 


 Remove from the oven and scatter the cheese over top.  Top the cheese with the chopped olives, onions and sun dried tomatoes, trying to scatter them evenly over all.   Bang back into the oven until the cheese melts and bubbles.  Remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes. Place onto a serving platter and serve along with a bowl of sour cream for dolloping and some more spring onions for scattering.  (If desired.)   Delicious!

1 comment

  1. What a masterful creation! We adore pizza AND potatoes - so it's a win win in this house!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!